Monday, May 13, 2013

Chili Bean Tacos


This is one of my favorite dinners I make that I originally took from the weight watcher's website. I made a few revisions and added some toppings and it is delicious! Without any sour cream or cheese, two of these babies should be about 8 points plus.

Ingredients:


Here is everything you will need:

  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon oil
  • 2 cloves garlic; minced (I buy the kind in a jar the is pre-minced. Cuts WAY back on the prep time)
  • 1 pound uncooked LEAN ground beef
  • 8 oz can tomato sauce
  • 15 oz can of kindey beans; drained and rinsed
  • Hard taco shells
  • low fat shredded cheese (optional)
  • low fat sour cream (optional)

I also like to add this to a lot of my meals:

I am not a big onion person. I like red onion with certain dishes but white and yellow onions disgust me. I do however like green onion and use it for a lot of my dishes. I usually cook with the shallots and then use the green part as a topping. In this case, I sprinkle a little on the top of the tacos.

Directions:



Toast the chili powder and the cumin in a large skillet over medium heat until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add oil to the skillet and heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 3 minutes).


Add the beef and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook through and break up as it cooks. Once your beef is cooked make sure you DRAIN THE GREASE. Nowhere in this original  recipe did it ever say to drain the grease, I guess because you are supposed to use really lean beef. This will STILL be very greasy if you do not drain and will make your tacos very soggy and gross.


Once drained, add beef back to the skillet and then add the tomato sauce and kidney beans. Cook about 5 more minutes. To assemble, fill each taco shell with 1/4 cup beef mixture and top with cheese, sour cream, green onions, cilantro, whatever you like, ect...(Just remember it may add extra points if you are following weight watchers)

MMMMMMMMMMMM!!!


Meghan




No comments:

Post a Comment