Friday, June 28, 2013

10 Things I Live For

Since last time I was all Negative Nancy on you, I figured this week I will switch gears and rave about 10 things that do the opposite of annoy me. 10 things I love! If you don’t find this as entertaining as the last post then whatever. I don’t care. I do this blog more for myself anyway so if you read it, great. If not, I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU!!!!!!
Ok all joking aside….
10. My son’s laugh
This is a given. Every parent loves their child’s laugh. Even if I am having the worst day in the world, the sound of pure and utter joy coming from this child’s mouth makes it irrelevant. I LIVE for my child’s happiness. Anyone who is a parent understands this. And also…he has a pretty freakin funny laugh…He kind of sounds like Randy from A Christmas Story
Mommy's Little Piggy!


9. Listerine Strips

I have an unhealthy addiction to these. I hate hate hate bad breath!!! I hate it when others have it and I hate when I can’t tell if I have it or not. This is the only way to be sure I don’t have bad breath. I keep these in my kitchen, in my purse, and in my desk at work. I have one or two of these after every time I eat. I also feel like they are an appetite suppressant at times. If I eat something small and start craving more, I pop one of these in and I don’t really crave it anymore.
8. Walking outside with a jacket on and realizing I don’t need it.
I am not a winter person. At All. Usually in the morning before I wake Brady up, I step outside and make sure he doesn’t need a jacket. This morning I stepped outside and the temperature was perfect! Sunny, warm weather and the fact that I have one less item to take out of the house with me makes the day THAT much better.
7. This:

For anyone who really knows me, you know that Bonefish is the best restaurant ever made. I base this on one reason alone. Bang Bang Shrimp. Drooooooooool!!! If I were on death row, THIS would be my last meal! I also need to mention that every bite of food I have EVER consumed at this place has been orgasmic. If you have NOT tried this restaurant….YOU NEED TO!!!! GO!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!
6. These smells:
               -The smell of a candle after it was just blown out. I have no idea why. Maybe it is nostalgic (Birthday parties from childhood?) Or maybe it is just like the gasoline phenomenon….where people secretly love the smell and have no idea why.
               -Sunscreen. This definitely IS nostalgic. I grew up basically living at a pool. I did swim team, lifeguarded, taught swim lessons, taught private lessons, you name it, I did it…The smell of sunscreen takes me back to those summers where life was just easy! I got paid to hang out at a pool! How could life get any better than that???
               -The inside of the Tractor Supply Store. This is the weirdest one yet. There is some weird rubbery smell that I smell when I go in there. I know it’s weird…But it just smells awesome to me?
               -Lavender baby shampoo. I used this in my son’s hair whenever I give him a bath. When I hold him as he drifts off to sleep shortly after, I can’t help but keep my nose buried in his hair. It is the most calming smell ever. When I was in labor with Brady, before I had my epidural, the nurse actually put some of these lavender pouches in the front pocket of my hospital gown and they helped with the pain!! Just by smelling them! Crazy huh?
5. This Place:

Carlsbad California is a town about 30 minutes north of San Diego. I have been fortunate enough to have visited there about once a year since I was 6. It started out as a business trip for my dad one year that we accompanied him on. And we just kept coming back every year to the same hotel until my dad finally just bought a time-share there at The Tamarack Beach Resort. It is the most laid-back vacation you will ever embark on. We sit by the pool, eat at restaurants, go to Karaoke night, sit on the beach, drink beer, and hang out with all the locals we have come to know. Everyone in this town is SO friendly (how could you NOT be with 75 and Sunny weather EVERY day year round) and I feel like we make new friends every time we go! Steve and I even went here on our honeymoon just because we already know the good spots to eat, hang out and relax! Our next mission is to bring Brady. I am not crazy about subjecting him to the 3 hour time difference just yet, but I know we will sooner rather than later. Our kid already has the surfer dude look down, so now we need to introduce him to the ocean!

Here are some pics from some past trips to Carlsbad:









4. This Show:
Call me white trash but this is my favorite show of all time. I own every episode on DVD and I have even been to the house they use in the photos:
Look Familiar?

Just to be clear, I didn’t go on some long trip to see this house. I’m not THAT weird. My sister-in-law used to live in Evansville IN (where the house is located) and I asked if we could go see the house when we were visiting one time. I can’t believe she took us without hesitation or at least without telling her brother how weird I am and maybe he should reconsider…
I don’t know. There is just something about a smart-assed blue collar woman who tells it like it is that I just can’t get enough of. This show was genius!! All of the jokes and lines could NOT have been written with better timing and delivery! And the storylines were so perfect and I felt like it truly depicted a middle class family living in the Midwest. My favorite character from this show would no doubt have to be Jackie, Roseanne’s sister which Lori Metcalf won a well-deserved Emmy for. My favorite all time episode would have to be from season 6 titled “A Stash from The Past”. Look it up on YouTube. The bathroom scene between Dan, Roseanne and Jackie is probably the funniest scene in television history (well to me anyway). And if you really don’t understand that type of humor then get the hell off my blog!
3. The sound of a pop can or bottle opening.
Ahhhhhhhhh

A lady I used to work with knew damn well that she was not to bring a soda bottle or can back from the vending machine already opened. She always waited to open it until she got back to her desk so I could either hear the crack and fizzle of her can/bottle opening. She knew it meant THAT much to me. One thing I did NOT give up on weight watchers was pop. I usually drink 1 can of Coke Zero a day at lunch because I just freakin love it. And those sounds of opening cans and bottles mean the beginning of a cool and refreshing carbonated experience!
2. Autumn


As much as I hate the fact that it is going to get cold soon, fall is my favorite time of year. I am your typical cliché pumpkin patch pickin’ hay ridin’ cider sippin’ type of person. Every year around this time I get really annoying about going to any type of Fall event we can find. (Ask my husband) The fact that I have an almost 2 year old makes this about 100x amplified because he is finally at an age where he can do all these things with me and enjoy it! And secondly he was born right before Halloween so I am hoping he will grow to love this time of year just as much as his mommy! This year, especially since we are in a new home in a pretty rural part of town, I am going to be SUPER excited about it! I cannot wait for hay rides, pumpkin carving, decorating the house, visiting Barn N’ Bunk (a local farmers market with all sorts of activities) and taking my little pumpkin Trick-or-Treating in our new neighborhood! Oooooga Booooga!
And last but certainly not least…

1. These 2


Besides wanting to be a famous singer since I was 11, I have kept my dreams pretty simple. I knew someday I wanted to be a wife and a mom. I never expected it would creep up on me as soon as it did, but it made me the happiest I have ever been. Authentically happy. Knowing I have married my best friend, given birth to the most beautiful and happy child in the world, and own a beautiful home for the 3 of us to live in together, makes me feel extremely accomplished in my 27 years of life. As many changes as my life has had in the past 2 1/2 years, I am graciously happy for almost all of them. It is such a comfort knowing that wherever life may take me, I will have these 2 along with me for the ride. Nothing makes me happier than that….although if someone were to open a soda can right now that would make everything that much better….

Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment