Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Grilled Chicken with Black Bean Mango Salsa


Usually by the time I get home from work, prepare a meal and try and snap quick pictures of it while my hungry family is waiting, all my natural light is gone. Also, my kitchen is set up weird, where the prep area is nowhere near a window, so I decided to go outside and snap a few photos of this dish in natural light so I could capture more of it's "prettiness". I think the next step is for me to buy some new dishes because the ones I always use are hand-me-downs. So not that any of you care, but look forward to better-plated dishes in the future!!

This dish is something I prepare the night before because my full-time work schedule does not allow for me to cook it the way you are supposed to. The chicken only really needs to marinate for an hour and you can make the salsa right before serving, but in order to save time (which I know many of us have so little of) I prepare it the night before and all my husband has to do when he gets home is throw it on the grill. And then the salsa is already made when it is done! Simple enough! And delicious too! Chicken with 2/3 cup salsa yields 6 weight watcher points.

Ingredients:

For the Chicken
  • 16 oz (2) boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
  • Salt and pepper; to taste
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • Juice of 1 lime

For the Black Bean Mango Salsa

  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 3 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • salt; to taste
  • 1 can black beans; drained and rinsed
  • 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro; minced
  • 1 chopped jalapeno (removed seeds if you want it less spicy)

Directions:

  • Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss well to coat. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. (Or overnight if you want).
  • In a medium bowl, combine the red onion, lime juice, olive oil and season with salt to taste. Mix well and then add the remaining ingredients and combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve. 

  •  Heat the grill to meduim high. Discard the chicken marinade and grill the chicken breasts about 3 minutes on each side or until cooke through.
  • Transfer to a cutting board and slice the chicken on the bias. Serve topped with the Mango Salsa!


Beautifully Delicious!


Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment