Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Weight Watcher-Friendly Chicken Taco Chili


It is Fall!!! My absolute FAVORITE time of year! I am your typical white female in her 20's who wears yoga pants and loves everything Autumn and pumpkin spice. Our local news station calls it OFD...Obsessive Fall Disorder. And I have it! Our house reeks of pumpkin spice and our decorations are plentiful. My husband I am sure can't wait for me to be out of this stage....but then I will just move onto the Christmas-Obsessive phase so he is screwed!

With fall season, comes Chili season...the reason my husband looks past my obsession!! My favorite thing to do is have a lazy Sunday afternoon where the boys watch football and I am in the kitchen cooking something delicious. This chili recipe is not only delicious and full of flavor, but it is not bad for you! 1 1/4 cup of this hearty recipe (sans toppings) is only 5 Weight Watchers points plus! Typically I prepare everything the night before and then just throw it in the crock pot on low and go to work and it is almost ready by the time i get home...and it is FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!

Ingredients:

  • 1 small red onion; chopped
  • 1 16 oz can black beans
  • 1 16 oz can kidney beans
  • 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 10 oz package frozen corn kernals
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/4 cup cilantro; chopped
  • 3 cans Rotel



Directions:

Combine beans, onion, Rotel, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. (I usually combine this all in a bowl the night before and cover with saran wrap and put in the fridge. Then in the morning it just dump it into the crock pot)



Place the chicken on top and cover.



So here's the deal. I go to work and leave this on low and it is fine. All the liquid in the ingredients keeps the chicken from drying out. If you want to cook it on high, it should be ready in 3-4 hours.

About 30 minutes before serving, remove the chicken and shred it with 2 forks.



Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and stir it in. Allow it to cook another half hour so the flavor can incorporate into the chicken.

Serve with cheese, sour cream, chives, or whatever toppings you prefer, but remember it will add extra points ;)





Brady and Papa after they enjoyed their Chili!
 Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment